Diatomaceous earth has been used for a very long time for various purposes. Its application for filtering food products and drinks is well known. This silica based white colored fine powder is also extensively used as pesticide and anti-caking agent due to its high capacity to absorb water and dehydrate.
The oil absorbing capacity of the element has made it useful in cosmetics as well. Medical-grade diatomaceous earth is also used for de-worming of both animals and humans. However, use of specially produced D.E. as a food supplement is a comparatively new concept which has gained quick popularity within a rather short span of time due to the claimed benefits it offers.
This article will try to highlight some benefits of consuming the specially modified food-grade D.E. and also the feared side effects of Diatomite. So, to have an idea about the diatomaceous earth benefits/side effects please go through the following
Diatomaceous Earth Possible Benefits
• Taking food grade specially modified D.E. can have excellent health benefits. Silica is an important element of our body, and Diatomite being a natural source of silica can certainly do a lot of good to the human body.
• Apart from silica, natural diatomite also includes percentages of iron oxides and other minerals, which can directly add to good health, and work as an effective mineral supplement.
• The Benefits of D.E. includes stronger bones, nails and teeth along with enhanced skin health. So, this supplement can be beneficial for the health conscious men as well as for the beauty conscious women.
• Diatomite is believed to have detoxifying properties. It helps in flushing out the toxins as well as other parasites from the digestive system.
The microscopic shape of the element and its highly absorbing nature helps it to get attached with toxins and parasites within the system; and finally these are removed with the bowel. Proper cleansing of the digestive system and removal of viruses, bacteria and parasites enables a better functionality of the digestive system leading to better health.
• It has been found through research that a certain amount of silica is required by the body for maintaining healthy blood vessels, tendons, bones, cartilages, hair and skin. It is also an essential mineral for a healthy and well- functioning heart, lung and liver; and D.E. can be an excellent source of Silica.
• It is scientifically established that in children and teens silica is found in higher amount which makes their body more flexible. A gradual decrease in the amount of silica naturally present in the body with age can also be linked with reduced health and aging. So food grade D.E. can be used as an effective anti-aging product.
• Food grade diatomaceous earth is also known as a weight loss accelerator as it dissolves excess fat cells and reduces the level of cholesterol in the body. High blood pressure levels can also be reduced by regular consumption of D.E.
Diatomaceous Earth Possible Side effects
One and only side effect of Diatomaceous Earth is caused through inhalation of the powder. When inhaled in high concentration the element might be harmful for the lungs, but this is mostly applicable in case of the non-food grade D.E.